I've been quiet on the subject of Farley's injury because I wasn't sure whether I was seeing some pathologic changes or not. I really really didn't want the end of Farley's career to come from something as benign as kicking at a fly and slamming her leg into a pipe corral.
After the filling went down, what I found was 2 hard bumps that were very low on the leg above the fetlock, one on the outside and one on the inside of the leg.
After 2 weeks and having the leg not be normal, I decided to make a vet appointment, even though she wasn't unsound on the lunge.
It was the best and worst of vet visits. The kind that is good because everything is going to be OK, and it was relatively cheap, and the worst of vet visits because you feel like an idiot.
It seems like there is quite a bit of individual variation in regards to length of the splint bone. When she kicked the fence, Farley broke off the end of her medial (inside) splint bone. I considered a splint but it seemed WAY too distal (low on the leg), but I guess not!
The bump on the outside of the leg was a bit of fibrous tissue on top of the suspensory. I expressed concern about it's location.....so the vet put an ultrasound on it and pronounced it fine.
"Don't do a fifty tomorrow" was his comment. "What about the end of November?", I asked. Apparently that should be absolutely fine.
Normally I wouldn't bother bringing a sound horse into the vet for an injury that is getting better, even with the changes I felt in the leg. However, my belief is that if a horse is being asked to give a performance type effort (like endurance), it is my responsibility to do "due diligence" in situations like this --> that I'm not absolutely sure what is going on, and at least get some diagnostics so I can make an informed decision about the direction of her career.
Not being able to afford to do basic diagnostics is one red flag that I have no business doing endurance, so was happy to realize that I can still do this for my pony.
A Look at Competitive Mounted Orienteering
4 days ago