- Those goals that I should reasonable attain, and...
- Those goals that are so far out there, even my sisters (who apparently believe I'm capable of anything - and I mean anything) are going to avert their eyes in shame.
Realistic goals (or "unfun" goals):
1. Complete first 100 mile ride
- Trust me - this doable. If I don't get this one knocked off the list I need to do some serious self-evaluation.
- This will be accomplished because I cannot imagine it being any other way. If I have to compete at intro level for an entire year...I just might snap and murder myself in my sleep.
3. Earn my 750 mile AERC patch
- For the readers not familiar with endurance: Mileage patches are awarded to riders at 250 mile intervals (races over 50 miles only) for the first 1000 miles, than at 500 mile intervals after that.
- Starting the season I am at 475 total miles. Which means I'm not even going to dignify getting my 500 mile patch as a separate goal.
- This should be a no brainer if everything goes well.
4. Get Farley to 500 AERC endurance miles
- Farley is at 325 endurance miles (same program as the riders described above, except horse mileage patches are awarded at 1000 mile intervals). Farley will be halfway to her first medellion
5. Complete a 3-day 155 endurance ride
- I have Wild West in mind. She completed 2 days there no problem, so picking up a 3rd day shouldn't be a big deal.
6. Compete at a recognized dressage show.
- Again - a no brainer. The harder goal would be to break 60% on every test I do......we'll call that a "sub-goal". A 60% or better on a training level test will get me a cool little certificate thingy from CDS (California Dressage Society).
- Very Doable. I just need to NOT be a dingbat during my tests.
8. Don't get lost at a ride (this should be a fun one)
- Every year I get seriously lost at an endurance ride at least once. As in, must ask directions from the biker dudes camping in the desert, lost. NEVERMORE for the next season. Again, not behaving like a dingbat should get me this goal.
9. Help mark or take down ribbons on a ride. On horseback. Karen makes it look/sound so glamorous!
Super secret, unrealistic goals........
1. Earn my 1000 mile AERC patch
- Ha! like that is going to happen. When was the last time my ride season went as planned....that's right...NEVER.
- Yeah....I think I'll just keep my head down, try not to think about it, and nail a 60% + on ever test this year....then I'll CONSIDER taking this goal seriously.
3. Start schooling first level dressage in the fall.
- That would require either a) a miracle in which Farley discovers her "inner" dressage self or b) a lot of hard, consistent work. Not sure either of those two things are going to happen. Let me revise - NEITHER of those things are going to happen....but I can at least shoot high right?
4. Go barefoot all year
- This goal scares me to death. Yep, the paperbag is making it's appearance again....I'll take it ride by ride and see what happens.
5. FINISH Tevis
- By putting it on paper, I instantly drop my chances of completing from 50% to ~0.5%. That's why it goes into this category.
6. Get Farley to the bronze level of the 100 mile incentive program
- AERC is launching a 100 mile incentive program this year.
- The bronze level is the first level and requires that a horse completes 3 100-milers in it's lifetime.
- I think Farley and I could do 2 next season. I'm unsure of the that third one....